Puff-sleeves are trending towards a closet staple. The dramatic sleeves started popping up in the Spring of 2018 and have shown no sign of slowing down. Due to the many variations of the trendy sleeve, they keep coming back season after season reimagined. This past summer, we saw billowing dresses with romantic puff-sleeves on celebrities, runways, and in retailers. It’s no surprise that once again, the sleeve has returned for Fall/Winter. Expect to see a lot of puff sleeve sweaters as we head into the colder months. The sleeves provide beautiful texture, drama, and sophistication. Just check out Fendi’s Fall 2020 ready-to-wear collection for inspiration.
Types of Puff Sleeve Sweaters and How to Wear Them
Puff-sleeves have gained a lot of traction because you can dress them up or down. They are also flattering on women of all ages and sizes. When shopping for a puff sleeve sweater, bear in mind that all puff-sleeves are not the same. Have I mentioned this trend is versatile?! The balloon sleeve is a lower hanging puff. It billows from shoulder to elbow, getting more fitted as it reaches the wrist. In some cases, it billows until the wrist. The Juliet sleeve is a voluminous and dramatic sleeve that puffs at the shoulders and features a tapered arm. While the leg-of-mutton sleeve gives a nice pop and then tapers tight from the elbow to the wrist. You can also find these styles on a short sleeve shirt, one-sleeved shirt, a dress, or a sweater.
I love having pieces in my closet that are going to get a lot of love. Since this trend is so versatile, there are a lot of possibilities when it comes to styling.
- Work: A lot of us are working from home, spending hours on Zoom calls all day. This sweater is a great way to combine comfort and professionalism while still looking great. Style a leg-of-mutton sleeved sweater for the office with dress pants or a midi skirt, but if you’re looking for more comfort as you work from home, pair with joggers of the same color scheme for a monochrome look…or with yoga pants- I won’t tell.
- Thanksgiving or Christmas with immediate family: Like the current status of just about everything, the holidays are going to look a little different this year. Just because you can’t have a large family gathering, it doesn’t mean you don’t have a reason to dress up. Style a balloon sleeved sweater with skinny dark denim pants or a faux leather legging and snap a cute family picture for Instagram or to share with your family group chat.
- A flirty look: If you’re looking for the “wow” factor or a truly #styleblogger moment, style a Juliet sleeved sweater with flared denim high-waisted pants and throw on your cutest booties.
Puff Sleeve Sweaters for any Budget
Being stylish doesn’t have to break the bank. Here is a range of options for different price points:
Here is a range of options for different price points for our plus sized beauties:
- Worth the splurge: This puff sleeve sweater with bow by Eloquii features a cute velvet bow and a cross between balloon and leg of mutton sleeves. It is available in the color oxblood and in sizes 14/16 to 22/24. This is another great festive holiday sweater.
- Reasonably priced: The cable balloon sleeve raglan sweater by BP is available in colors ivory and red pomegranate and plus sizes 1X to 4X. The sweater features cable detailing and a relaxed fit.
- Savvy spender: The puff sleeve crewneck pullover from the Target brand, Wild Fable, is the most size inclusive sweater on this list. This affordable option comes in both regular sizing XS to XXL and plus sizes 1X to 4X. This sweater also comes in black, pink, red, and blue. The sleeves are a nice hybrid between a Juliette and leg of mutton.
How to Make Puff Sleeve Sweaters Work for any Body Shape
When participating in any trend, you need to find what makes you feel good. That means finding the perfect puff sleeve sweater for your body shape. Remember, these are only suggestions. Buy what you love because confidence completes any outfit.
- Apple: Puff-sleeves are a great way to hide your midsection and add some volume to smaller arms. A V-neckline and a wrap will also help create a more defined waist. This Pippa puff sleeve wrap top by Wayf features a wrap waist, V-neck, and leg of mutton sleeves. It’s available in sizes XS to XL in the color black.
- Rectangular: This trend is perfect for anyone with an undefined waist and minimal curves. Wear a sweater that features a whimsical sleeve and cinches at the waist to create an hourglass shape. The puff crew neck sweater by 7 for All Mankind is made somes in the color smokey rose and sizes XS to L. It features a fitted waist and dramatic Juliet sleeves.
- Pear: If your hips are larger than your waist and bust, go for a daring sleeve and lots of texture to balance the bottom half. This balloon sleeve, Puff sleeve fluffy sweater by H&M is available in the color white and sizes XS to XXL.
- Inverted triangle: If your shoulders are larger than your hips go for balloon sleeves and a flattering V-neck to elongate and balance. The Joss puff sleeve knit sweater by French Connection features balloon sleeves, a V-neck, and is available in sizes XS to L and the colors black, white, and 70’s tan.
- Plus size: This trend is very wearable for all women and all body shapes. This Larisa puff sleeve sweater comes in the show-stopping brilliant chartreuse color and is available in plus sizes 0 to 3.
If you’re looking to add some personality to your wardrobe or just want to feel like a princess with those showstopping Juliette sleeves, then this is the perfect trend to hop on. I’m betting you even have the staples in your closet to create a perfect Fall or Winter outfit. Which puff sleeve sweater is your favorite?